Saturday, November 3, 2012
Paddling/Hiking/Adventure Books for Women
(Photo from Google Images)
Love to read? Love to paddle or hike? You may love these books..... you could be like the woman in the photo and do both.
A couple of our GO WOW'ers have asked me to list my favorite adventure books for women/by women....
If you read like I do, that's a heckuva list and continuously growing....
Reading about outdoor adventures takes you away, lowers your stress level, slows your heartbeat, excites your senses and fills the gap for when we cannot find our way outdoors. The last few years I have found myself gravitating towards reading only true, inspiring outdoor adventure books and thankfully, there are plenty out there to choose from. Most of the books on my list are by women, some are not. I will be adding to the list from time to time, this is just a starter list....
I hope you like them and please, let me know if you decide to read them or have read them, I'd love to hear your thoughts! Also, a great resource for avid readers is the Women's Adventure Magazine's Facebook book club. All true stories, all written and experienced by women. Excellent group with great book recommendations. Wow, we've evolved to online book clubs instead of in person ones...funny isn't it?
Some of my picks are paddling specific, some are hiking, I am especially enamored with anything about women's paddling and the Appalachian Trail....rated good, great or fantastic. Most will get a "great" rating.
My simple rating system:
Great=worth reading and very memorable
Fantastic= it has to be quite stellar, the kind of book you never forget, the kind that reaches deep into your soul and makes you sob, and the next page can make you shout with joy and your heartbeat run fast and hard....sometimes inspiring new ideas and life-changing decisions....those will get the fantastic rating, but they are far and few between.
1. The Cruelest Journey by Kira Salak Good
2. Fearless, One Woman, One Kayak, One Continent by Joe Glickman Great
3. be brave, be strong A Journey Across the Great Divide by Jill Homer Great
4. Becoming Odyssa Jennifer Pharr Davis (from Asheville, NC) Pseudo-Fantastic
5. Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed Great-Fantastic
6. In Beauty May She Walk, Thru-Hiking the Appalachian Trail at age 60 by Leslie Mass Great
7. Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder by Richard Louv Fantastic
8. Trailside Guide: Hiking and Backpacking by Karen Berger Great
9. Spirited Waters: Soloing South Through the Inside Passage by Jennifer Peterson Hahn Great
10. The Barefoot Sisters Southbound (Adventures on the Appalachian Trail) Lucy letcher, Susan Letcher Great
11. On Island Time: Kayaking the Caribbean by Scott B. Williams Good
12. Solar Storms by Linda Hogan Fantastic
13. Sea Kayaker's Deep Trouble: True Stories and Their Lessons from Sea Kayaker magazine by Matt Broze, George Gronseth Great
14. Paddle: A Long Way Around Ireland Jasper Winn GREAT (Added 11/12/13)
Some of these titles may be available as an e-book and/or on your Kindle from the library for free at: http://ncdigital.lib.overdrive.com/4DB5F332-082F-4D85-A09A-547E1FA3EB98/10/385/en/Default.htm
We may be able to order the book you want at the shop as well, let me know if you are interested in us ordering you a copy.